|Event Location:||Coquihalla & Whistler|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Feb 8 2019, Sat, Feb 9 2019, Sun, Feb 10 2019, Tue, Feb 12 2019, Sat, Feb 23 2019, Sun, Feb 24 2019 7:00 PM (Carpool Departure: N/A *log in for location*)|
|Registration Cut Off:||Fri, Feb 1 2019 11:55:00 PM|
|Event Duration:||4 days 2 nights|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$200.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
|Who's Invited:||Members Only, 18 & Older Only|
|Attendee Screening:||Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.|
|Number Registered So Far:||12 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)|
The purpose of this training is to prepare ACC members with intermediate skiing and mountaineering experience,
as well as aspiring winter event coordinators, with the knowledge, skills and confidence to participate, assist, or lead backcountry ski trips.
And all of this safely and enjoyably.
- Weekend 1 (Coquihalla) Friday Feb 8nd from 7pm to 10pm, Saturday Feb 9rd and Sunday Feb 10th all day: Ski touring skills, focused on leading ski trips.
Topic covered: organization of a trip, leadership, navigation, pacing, track setting, avalanche rescue.
We will meet Friday at 7pm at the the Slumber Lodge in Hope.
The program will start that night with a classroom session. Saturday will be a long day outside, followed by a second classroom session. After another full day in the snow we will return to Vancouver at the end of the day Sunday.
- Tuesday night Feb. 12 (not confirmed yet): Crevasse rescue dry school at BCIT.
6pm - 9pm.
Topic covered: Rope ascent and raising systems (drop loop and 3/1).
- Weekend 2 (Whistler backcountry) Feb. 23/24: Ski mountaineering skills.
Topic covered: transitions, rope management and roping in, crevasse rescue.
We will meet at St. David's United Church on Taylor way Saturday morning early (time to be determined), and carpool to Whistler. We will be camping Saturday night in the Whistler backcountry, and return to Vancouver at the end of the day Sunday.
- Downhill skiing: be able to safely ski black diamond runs in any conditions with heavy pack
- Ski touring experience: at least 10 backcountry ski days, in varying terrain and conditions
- Winter camping experience: at least 1 overnight winter camping trip
- Mountaineering experience: experience in mountaineering (glacier travel, rope management...)
- Avalanche Training: AST 1 or similar
- Crevasse rescue: recent crevasse rescue training / practice
Participants are being asked to fill in an online form describing their experience: Course Application Form . You need to register for this event and fill out the application form in order to get admitted to the course.
We will be using the book "Backcountry Skiing Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering"
Authors: Martin Volken, Scott Schell, Margaret Wheeler
Mountaineers Books 11/27/2007
as a course book. The book is included in the course fee.
Once accepted on the course, participant will receive payment instructions. Do not pay before then!
Please contact Martin Siegert if you have any question.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||660Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||N/A|
|Carpool Location:||Log in for location|
Log in for directions
** Vancouver Transit Info
|Carpool Cost:||Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $165.00 (calculated at total Km * $0.25, effective Wednesday, August 12, 2020). This is based on the current provincial government rate for private vehicle use. Please pay your share of the cost to the carpool driver.|
- Registration is not complete until you've signed up and, if required, paid in full to the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, either through PayPal, or sent to the Event Leader.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||- BCIT gym fee |
- 2 nights at a motel/hotel, Hope
- Whistler backcountry pass
- Garibaldi Backcountry Wilderness Camping Fee
- course book
Once accepted on the course, participant will
receive payment instructions.
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the ACC VA on Fri, Feb 1 2019.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!