About ACC VA
Alpine Club of Canada
ACC Vancouver Island
Varsity Outdoor Club
ACC Trip Waiver
Alpine Practice - Climbing Steep Snow (FULL) - Sun, Dec 3 2017
Download to your Outlook Calendar
PRE-REGISTRATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please review the event details carefully, and if registration is required and you'd like to join us, you must sign up at the bottom of this page. Non-member guests must contact the leader (see Notes below) to register. If payment is required for this event, you will be expected to send your payment to the Event Leader - payable to the Alpine Club of Canada, Vancouver Section.
|Event Location:||See Travel Plan (by email)|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sun, Dec 3 2017
|Registration Cut Off:
Thu, Nov 30 2017 8:00:00 AM
|Event Duration:||8 hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
4 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
- Climbing equipment review: gloves,
pants, boots, crampons, ropes, snow
pickets, runners, backpack slings,
mechanical ascenders, ice tools, ice axes,
leashes, nylon cords, sewn slings, prusiks,
shock absorbing slings.
- Snow: how steep is steep? Slope meter.
- Snow temperature: warm, cold, isothermal.
Freezing levels. Snow thermometer.
- Snow: hard, compact, soft.
Modes of travel - when to
- Trekking poles
- One pole and an ice axe
- Ice axe only
- Ice axe and ice tool
Moving on soft snow
- Alpine walk.
- How to carry and grasp an ice-ax. Gloves.
- Ascending: direct, diagonal.
- Descending: facing out, facing
in. About glissading.
- Self-belay. Dagger modes
- Self-arrest. Four
base types of falls.
- Boot-ax belay.
- Heap belay.
- Sitting belay.
- Running belay.
Moving on hard snow
- About crampons: how to properly to tie the
strap. Position of the knot. The dangers of the
- French / American / German
- Roping up. Partner check.
- Shortening/extending the rope.
- Snow pickets: carrying and placement.
1,2 - point anchors.
- Climbing in rope teams
of two: climbing
voice commands. Belaying the leader, belaying
the second, pitching, cleaning,
- End of the pitch protocol.
- Short roping
- Climbing in rope teams of three. Passing an
- Downclimbing. Traversing. Aretes.
- Rappelling: off a snow picket, off a snow
- Caches: hauling up/ lowering (2:1, 3:1)
- Setting up.
- Climbing up/down (using Jumars / TiBloc /
Ropemaster / Prusiks )
- Fixed Running belays
|Required Items to Bring:|
30-70 m 8-mm half rope (or else)
harness + belay device (Reverso
with a (accordion) leash on a locker
carabiners: 5 lockers + 1 large pear shape
anchor material: cords and slings (Nylon,
(e.g. Tiblock, Ropeman, Jumars)
snow pickets with runners attached
personal emergency kit incl. medical
headlamp with spare fresh batteries
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
Avalanche beacon, shovel, probe
ice tool on a accordion leash
Shock absorbing sling
Shoulder gear sling w
- We don't practice in bad weather. If
forecasted P.O.P. (weat
her.gc.ca) exceeds 30% the trip will be
automatically cancelled. This is beyond trip
organizer's control - short notice
cancellations are quite possible and do occur.
- This is not a course - you must have
minimum alpine experience and prior formal
- Be sure to check SPAM folder for important
messages regarding this event.
Must have climbed
at least one Alpine Select route.
IMPORTANT: You must
pass minimum screening requirements above.
The trip organizer will use your ACC profile to
check courses you have taken and peaks you have
climbed. You can also provide additional
information in this form (click here): Alpine Experience.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!
Very sorry, but members with history of
bailing or no-shows in the past 12 months can't
attend this session.