About ACC VA
Alpine Club of Canada
ACC Vancouver Island
Varsity Outdoor Club
ACC Trip Waiver
Course: Introduction to Sport Climbing - Sat, May 6 2017, Sun, May 7 2017
Download to your Outlook Calendar
PRE-REGISTRATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please review the event details carefully, and if registration is required and you'd like to join us, you must sign up at the bottom of this page. Non-member guests must contact the leader (see Notes below) to register. If payment is required for this event, you will be expected to send your payment to the Event Leader - payable to the Alpine Club of Canada, Vancouver Section.
|Event Location:||Squamish, Smoke Bluffs|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, May 6 2017, Sun, May 7 2017
7:00 AM (Carpool Departure: 7:15 AM *log in for location*)
|Registration Cut Off:
Wed, May 3 2017 11:00:00 AM
|Event Duration:||Full Weekend|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$60.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
8 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
This is a 2 day course intended to introduce
members to single-pitch sport climbing, i.e.
Participants will learn how to use quickdraws
protect themselves on
lead on a bolted route and how to setup and
dismantel anchors when
sport climbing. The first day will be
and climbing, and the
second day mostly supervised climbing.
- Selecting the necessary equipment.
- Clipping techniques.
- Avoiding clipping mistakes (back-clipping
- Proper lead belaying techniques (using ATC
- Setting up sport climbing anchors.
- Cleaning the anchor and lowering.
- Top roping climbing experience, - some
experience is preferred.
- Comfortable and experienced with belaying.
- Able to tie in securely and check partner.
- Climbing confidently at 5.9 indoors:
participants should be able to
climb ANY 5.9 route in an indoor climbing gym
weighting the rope or pausing for long period
time during the climb.
Applicants who sign up for this course will be
will be reviewed prior to acceptance into the
course. DO NOT PAY
you have been notified of your acceptance into
A dozen or more willing volunteers, put in a
more hours a year to make these courses happen,
which include top-quality instruction at
for money. We'll literally share everything we
staying safe in the mountains with you, because
you to experience nature as we do.
That said, participation is a two way street,
you're going to take a course, we ask that you
thinking about ways to contribute back to the
also. Remember, we're an entirely volunteer
community and this only works if everyone
Please consider becoming a trip-coordinator and
trip (even just a simple hiking trip) when
|Required Items to Bring:|
Note: Climb On
Equipment in Squamish
will rent you a harness, helmet, and
even rock climbing shoes for FREE in
to participate on this course. Say that you are taking
Instructional Course and give your membership number.
- Belay device.
- Climbing harness.
- Climbing shoes.
- At least one pear-shaped carabiner.
- Personal prusik (7mm, 1.5m long for
- One 120cm sling (double length sling).
you have any gear
questions, feel free to call them: 1-877-48-CLIMB.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||100Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||
Log in for location
Log in for directions
** Vancouver Transit Info
Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $25.00 (calculated at total Km * $0.25, effective Thursday, September 20, 2018). This is based on the current provincial government rate for private vehicle use. Please pay your share of the cost to the carpool driver.
- Registration is not complete until you've signed up and, if required, paid in full to the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, either through PayPal, or sent to the Event Leader.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||Course fees.|
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the ACC VA on Wed, May 3 2017.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!