About ACC VA
Alpine Club of Canada
ACC Vancouver Island
Varsity Outdoor Club
ACC Trip Waiver
Ski Touring and Glacier Travel Skills - Fri, Feb 26 2016
Download to your Outlook Calendar
PRE-REGISTRATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please review the event details carefully, and if registration is required and you'd like to join us, you must sign up at the bottom of this page. Non-member guests must contact the leader (see Notes below) to register. If payment is required for this event, you will be expected to send your payment to the Event Leader - payable to the Alpine Club of Canada, Vancouver Section.
|Event Location:||Coquihalla & Whistler|
|Date(s) & Time:||Fri, Feb 26 2016
|Registration Cut Off:
Fri, Feb 5 2016 11:55:00 PM
|Event Duration:||4 days 2 nights|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$160.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
0 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
The purpose of this training is to prepare ACC
members with intermediate skiing and
as well as
aspiring winter event
coordinators, with the knowledge, skills and
participate, assist, or lead backcountry ski trips.
And all of this
safely and enjoyably.
- Weekend 1 (Coquihalla) Friday Feb 17th
from 7pm to 10pm, Saturday Feb 18th and
Sunday Feb 19th all day: Ski touring skills,
focused on leading ski trips.
Topic covered: organization of a trip,
leadership, navigation, pacing, track setting,
We will meet Friday at 7pm at the
Slumber Lodge Motel, Hope www.slumberlodgehopebc.com.
The program will start that night with a classroom
session. Saturday will be a long day outside,
followed by a second classroom session. After
another full day in the snow we will return to
Vancouver at the end of the day Sunday.
- Wednesday night Feb. 22: Crevasse
rescue dry school at BCIT.
6pm - 10pm.
Topic covered: Rope ascent and
raising systems (drop loop and 3/1).
- Weekend 2 (Whistler backcountry) Feb. 25/26: Ski mountaineering skills.
Topic covered: transitions, rope
management and roping in, crevasse rescue.
We will meet at St. David's United Church
on Taylor way Saturday morning early (time to be
determined), and carpool to Whistler. We will be
camping Saturday night in the Whistler
backcountry, and return to Vancouver at the end
of the day Sunday.
- Downhill skiing: be able to safely ski
black diamond runs in any conditions with heavy
- Ski touring experience: at least 10
backcountry ski days, in varying terrain and
- Winter camping experience: at least 1
overnight winter camping trip
- Mountaineering experience: experience
in mountaineering (glacier travel, rope
- Avalanche Training: AST 1 or
- Crevasse rescue: recent crevasse
rescue training / practice
Participants will be asked to fill in an online
form describing their experience once they
register for this event.
Participants are required to purchase and read
the book "Backcountry Skiing Skills for Ski
Touring and Ski Mountaineering"
Authors: Martin Volken, Scott Schell, Margaret
Mountaineers Books 11/27/2007
Available at MEC here.
Once accepted on the course, participant will
receive payment instructions.
Please contact Martin Siegert if you have any question.
|Required Items to Bring:|
A list of gear will be sent to participants once they
have been accepted in the course.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
- Registration is not complete until you've signed up and, if required, paid in full to the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, either through PayPal, or sent to the Event Leader.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||- BCIT gym fee |
- 2 nights at the Slumber Lodge Motel, Hope
- Whistler backcountry pass
- Once accepted on the course, participant will receive payment instructions.
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the ACC VA on Fri, Feb 5 2016.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!