About ACC VA
Alpine Club of Canada
ACC Vancouver Island
Varsity Outdoor Club
ACC Trip Waiver
Women's Intro to Mountaineering - Sat, Jun 18 2016
Download to your Outlook Calendar
PRE-REGISTRATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please review the event details carefully, and if registration is required and you'd like to join us, you must sign up at the bottom of this page. Non-member guests must contact the leader (see Notes below) to register. If payment is required for this event, you will be expected to send your payment to the Event Leader - payable to the Alpine Club of Canada, Vancouver Section.
|Event Location:||Mt. Baker|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Jun 18 2016
8:00 AM (Carpool Departure: 7:30 AM *log in for location*)
|Registration Cut Off:
Sun, May 1 2016 11:55:00 PM
|Event Duration:||3 Days|
|Difficulty Rating:||D1: Easy|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$50.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
9 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
NOTE: THIS IS
A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE BASIC MOUNTAINEERING
COURSE! We strongly recommend taking that course on top
of joining our trip ☺
This trip is designed for women with little or no mountaineering
experience. It's ideal if you're in pretty good shape, physically,
but no need to be a superstar athlete.
The purpose of this trip is to put into practice basic
mountaineering skills. Our exact route and
objective is still a bit up in the air since it'll depend on
conditions, weather etc., but it'll probably be the Coleman-
Deming route on Mount Baker, or something similar.
The itinerary will look something like this:
Tuesday, May 24: (Pre-Trip Info Session)
*NOTE: if some folks cannot make this date, we may
run a second session a week prior to or after*
- To be held at Mahony & Sons -
- Bring your backpack and gear to this session! We will
review what to pack and how to select it (e.g. if you're thinking
of buying or renting, or trying to decide which jacket to pack),
how to pack your bag, how to fit crampons to your boots, and
all other things gear-related
- We'll also go over some of the basic knots and how we will
tie in to the rope when on the mountain (this will be reviewed
again on the actual trip)
Saturday, June 18: (Approach)
- Meet in the morning and carpool to the trailhead
- Go over last-minute questions about gear, the itinerary, and
some safety considerations
- Approach to "base camp" on the mountain (likely 3-4 hours
- Set up camp and practice winter/snow camping
Sunday, June 19 (Mountaineering Day School)
Skills practice day which will cover...
- Ice axe self arrest
- Team arrest
- Walking in crampons
- The "rest step"
- Breathing techniques
- "Roping up" and traveling roped
- Communication protocol
- Basic hazard identification
- Other topics, as time permits
Monday, June 20 (Summit Day!)
You are expected
to have your own gear and equipment. We will email you later
what group gear will be provided and what can be rented at a
minimal cost through MEC. There will also be permit fees to
enter Mt. Baker and carpool costs :-)
- Early alpine start and summit
- Apply your skills!
- Take pictures, revel in victory, post to Instagram (haha)
- Head back to the trailhead and go home
"Registration" opens April 4th 2016. At
this time we'll release a questionnaire for you to complete. ***
The fee for the
$50. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND TAKE NOTE OF
DEADLINES AND DATES:
1) Between Monday, April 4th and Sunday, May
online and your name will automatically be added to the
organizer reviews your registration information (YOU ARE
HERE). Be sure to answer all the trip planning questions
2) After May 1st, the organizer(s) will review everyone's
there are more participants on the Waiting List than the
women to participate. If you are selected, you will be notified
Monday, May 9th.
3) Once you've been notified, your name will be placed in the
will be prompted to pay the trip fee ($50).
4) You will have until Monday, May 16th to
your payment. After
payment has been confirmed, your name will remain in the
confirmation email will be sent to you. Otherwise, we will
your name and select a different
candidate from the Waiting List to take your spot.
We've drafted up a gear list here
for your reference, but we will
definitely go over any gear questions you may have at the pre-
trip info session. In the meantime, if you have any other
questions please don't
hesitate to email Soleil, Jill or Marlaina.
A little about Jill, Marlaina and Soleil:
We call ourselves Girls & Mountains. We are three ACC
members who are wildly enthusiastic about mountaineering,
and consider leadership, team-building and empowerment of
other women through mountain climbing to be our most
important values. If you want to know more, you can check us
out at www.girlsandmountains.ca
|Required Items to Bring:|
Ice Axe, Boots, Crampons, 1 short and 1 long prusik, 2 locking
biners, 2 non-locking biners. See full gear list here.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||0Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||
Log in for location
Log in for directions
** Vancouver Transit Info
- Registration is not complete until you've signed up and, if required, paid in full to the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, either through PayPal, or sent to the Event Leader.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the ACC VA on Sun, May 1 2016.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!