About ACC VA
Alpine Club of Canada
ACC Vancouver Island
Varsity Outdoor Club
ACC Trip Waiver
Introduction to Trad Climbing - Sat, May 11 2013, Sun, May 12 2013
Download to your Outlook Calendar
PRE-REGISTRATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please review the event details carefully, and if registration is required and you'd like to join us, you must sign up at the bottom of this page. Non-member guests must contact the leader (see Notes below) to register. If payment is required for this event, you will be expected to send your payment to the Event Leader - payable to the Alpine Club of Canada, Vancouver Section.
|Event Location:||Squamish, Smoke Bluffs|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, May 11 2013, Sun, May 12 2013
8:00 AM (Carpool Departure: 7:00 AM *log in for location*)
|Registration Cut Off:
Mon, May 6 2013 10:00:00 AM
|Event Duration:||8 hours|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$70.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
8 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
|Meet each day at 7:00am in the parking lot of St. David's Church at the Taylor Way Exit of Hwy 1.
Carpool to Squamish.
Course duration: until about 4pm each day.|
|Required Items to Bring:|
- belay device (ATC-Guide or Reverso-3 type preferred)
- climbing harness
- climbing shoes
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
|How to Get There:|
|Carpool to Event Distance (round trip):||100Km|
|Carpool Departure Time:||
Log in for location
Log in for directions
** Vancouver Transit Info
Approximate vehicle expense for this event is $25.00 (calculated at total Km * $0.25, effective Thursday, November 21, 2019). This is based on the current provincial government rate for private vehicle use. Please pay your share of the cost to the carpool driver.
This two-day course introduces participants to lead climbing using gear for
protection. The emphasis is on placing gear (camming devices, nuts, etc.) and
evaluating placements. Participants will be have the opportunity to practice
gear placements on mock leads and have their placements evaluated by the
instructors and other members of the group.
- practice and evaluate gear placements
- racks and racking
- clipping techniques
- avoiding rope drag
- impact forces and fall factors
- gear anchors
- mock leads and (if progress permits) real leads
- Top-rope climbing experience: belaying, anchor building
- Minimum required climbing skills: 5.9 (5.10a indoors)
- Rappelling experience
- Knots: Clove hitch, Munter hitch, figure-8 knot, Prussik, etc.
Applicants who sign up for this course will be reviewed
prior to acceptance into the course and must fill out this
Course Application Form (the link will open in a new tab or window).
DO NOT PAY until you have been notified of your acceptance
into the course.
Download the course handout. (PDF 7.3 MB)
- Registration is not complete until you've signed up and, if required, paid in full to the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, either through PayPal, or sent to the Event Leader.
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||course fee|
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the ACC VA on Mon, May 6 2013.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!