About ACC VA
Alpine Club of Canada
ACC Vancouver Island
Varsity Outdoor Club
ACC Trip Waiver
Ski Touring and Glacier Travel Skills - Sat, Mar 16 2013, Tue, Mar 12 2013, Fri, Mar 15 2013, Sun, Mar 17 2013, Sat, Mar 23 2013, Sun, Mar 24 2013
Download to your Outlook Calendar
PRE-REGISTRATION MAY BE REQUIRED. Please review the event details carefully, and if registration is required and you'd like to join us, you must sign up at the bottom of this page. Non-member guests must contact the leader (see Notes below) to register. If payment is required for this event, you will be expected to send your payment to the Event Leader - payable to the Alpine Club of Canada, Vancouver Section.
|Event Location:||Coquihalla & Whistler|
|Date(s) & Time:||Sat, Mar 16 2013, Tue, Mar 12 2013, Fri, Mar 15 2013, Sun, Mar 17 2013, Sat, Mar 23 2013, Sun, Mar 24 2013
|Registration Cut Off:
Thu, Mar 7 2013 12:00:00 AM
|Event Duration:||4 days 1 night|
|Difficulty Rating:||D2: Moderate|
You must be logged in to get the Event Leader contact information.
|Member Cost:||$180.00/Person (See Detailed Cost Info Below)|
Members Only, 18 & Older Only
Attendees are Pre-Screened - Trip Leader will review your background and may contact you before accepting you on the trip.
|Number Registered So Far:||
12 (To see who's signed up, log in to the Member Area)
The purpose is to prepare those with intermediate skiing and
as well as aspiring winter event
coordinators, with the knowledge, skills and confidence to
participate, assist, or lead backcountry ski trips.
And all of this
safely and enjoyably.
- Tuesday night March 12th: Crevasse rescue dry school
6pm - 10pm.
- Weekend 1 (Coquihalla): Ski touring skills, focused on
leading ski trips.
We will meet Friday at 7pm at the Coquihalla Lakes Lodge www.coquihallalakeslodge.com.
The program will start that night with a classroom session.
will be a long day outside, followed by a second classroom session.
After another full day in the snow we will return to Vancouver
at the end of the day Sunday.
- Weekend 2 (Whistler): Ski mountaineering skills.
We will meet at St. David's United Church on Taylor way
morning early (time to be determined), and carpool to Whistler. We
will be camping Saturday night, and return to Vancouver at the end
of the day Sunday.
- Downhill skiing: be able to safely ski black diamond
runs in any conditions with heavy pack
- Ski touring experience: at least 10 backcountry ski
days, in varying terrain and conditions
- Winter camping experience: at least 1 overnight winter
- Mountaineering experience: experience in
mountaineering (glacier travel, rope management...)
- Avalanche Training: AST 1 or similar
- Crevasse rescue: recent crevasse rescue training /
Participants are required to purchase and read the book
"Backcountry Skiing Skills for Ski Touring and Ski Mountaineering"
Authors: Martin Volken, Scott Schell, Margaret Wheeler
Mountaineers Books 11/27/2007
Available at MEC here.
More details will follow.
|Recommended Items to Bring:|
Use our Event Checklists to make sure you have everything you need.
- Registration is not complete until you've signed up and, if required, paid in full to the Alpine Club of Canada Vancouver Section, either through PayPal, or sent to the Event Leader.|
- When a minimum group size appears, this is to let you know that the event will be cancelled with refunds to those who have already paid, if the minimum number of registered participants is not met.
- We encourage all members to follow our Etiquette Guidelines at all times while participating in ACC VA events.
|Cost & Payment:|
|Cost Includes:||- BCIT gym fee |
- 2 nights at Coquihalla Lakes Lodge
- Whistler backcountry pass
|Payment Cut Off:||Payment must be received by the ACC VA on Thu, Mar 7 2013.|
|Make a Payment:||Click here for the details. PLEASE PAY AFTER YOU HAVE SIGNED UP BELOW.|
Please review our Etiquette Guidelines!
Note: If you don't show up we will be very hurt!